03 May 2013

Blast off Missoula - Market Menu for Saturday, May 4th

It's been a long time, I know. Now don't be mad it's just that I've been busy steeling myself for the forthcoming farmer's market season here in Missoula at the #1 market in town - The Clark Fork Market. (you can follow the goings-on all year long at the CFM right here: http://www.clarkforkmarket.com/)

Throughout the market season I'll mostly be providing weekly menus along with a few choice blogs that I have time for with topics that I really want to talk about. Starting this week, I lose most of my free time (i.e. reading and writing time) so there will be much less blogging and much more baking. But rest assured I do have some stuff in the que - like my take on Jason Collins' (gasp) coming out party, resource extraction and public (un)health and corporate/capitalist indifference tied in with money's corrupting influence on American "democracy". But hey until then, you don't start a pie guy website exclusively to write...

So without further adieu and to set the mood, here's a track from the Talib Kweli's upcoming Prisoner of Conscious album due out next Tuesday, May 7th. My main man The Rza lays the track and Busta Rhymes shows up to help them both out. So with all apologies to Jay-Z, this track is hip hop at its finest.


Having said all that, here at PPG Industries we're moving at the speed of the fast approaching warm weather. Last night as I picked the first fresh rhubarb of the season, Fizzy laid out in the middle of street while Betty followed her nose down a block or two. In other words, a typical early Spring evening at the Church as the oven preheated. What is not typical however, is that all the pies listed below are all baked and cooling as we speak. So here goes, Market Menu for Saturday, May 4th:

2 Betty Lou-Berry (blueberries and raspberries - one gluten-free)
2 The Darryl (strawberry-rhubarb - one gluten free)
1 Violet (blueberry)
1 Fizzyberry (blackberries, blueberries and raspberries)

Looking forward to seeing y'all tomorrow for the first farmer's market of 2013. I'm excited for what should be a banner weekend in Missoula: starting with tonite's First Friday, tomorrow's opening of the market season, tomorrow afternoon's 21st Missoula Brewfest at Caras Park from 12 to 8 pm and Cinco de Mayo on Sunday with lots of sunshine and temps in the 70s to go around the whole time.

Time to blast off Missoula.

-PPG


No comments:

Post a Comment